Monday 2 December 2013


A traditional Ugandan Marriage

I was recently privileged to be invited to a Ugandan traditional marriage in a village a good 40 minutes on a motorbike out of Lira in one of the villages – note to self not to wear the outfit that I plan to wear for the event on a journey like that again - I was orange from the dusty road by the time I got there. Anyway, I hadn’t been there long when I was requested to put on a traditional dress and asked if I would help to greet the visitors on arrival. Then, I was asked to be part of the march – not really knowing what was involved I politely agreed. So, the tradition is that groups of women march around and then they kneel in front of the groom as he searches for his wife amongst the women. I was in the third and last group along with the bride. At the last minute I was told that I was to lead the march and the worst thing was that they didn’t just mean march – NO, they meant dance!!! I am not the most musical of people as it is, I am wearing an outfit I can hardly move in, the ground is uneven so I am paranoid I am going to fall, everyone of course is looking at me as the only muzungu at the event….I tried my best is all I can say! My colleague who took me to the event encouraged me to get a traditional dress made for the next one (the one with the pointy shoulders higher than shoulder pads worn by Joan Collins in the 80s!). Dress is now made…am waiting for the next event now so hopefully an entry will follow on this in the near future!
My colleague's mother in law just before the event.

Colleague's family

 Traditional dances

 
 
 

 Groom looking for his bride

 Bride in red above
My colleague Susan with me in traditional dress

1 comment:

  1. Good sport Emma! The vision of you marching, I mean dancing reminds me of the Vitality show at Earls court with the African dance workout stage.
    I still haven't got passed the warm up on that DVD by the way.

    ReplyDelete